Friday, March 12, 2010

Comments for Kids Update

Week 5 comment for Kids: I commented this week on Isaac and Ellie's post found at http://priestsic5.blogspot.com/search/label/Ellie. They are nine and ten year old students from England. This blog was by far the most impressive student blog I have seen. The picture above was done by one of these students. The post I commented on, called "Bitten! By Isaac and Ellie," was very thoroughly done and I complemented them on their good work. It is mind numbing how talented these students are.

Week 6: This week I commented on "TomJoe's" blog: http://pestomjoet.blogspot.com/. My comment read: "I am a student at the University of South Alabama and I was assigned to read your blog for one of my classes. This blog is very impressive, and I really liked this post about Phineas and Ferb. I have never seen the show, but your post definitely makes it seem funny enough to watch. Keep up the good work in school." This blog was a little bit more informal , but it was fun to read.

Week 7: http://classblogmeister.com/blog.php?user_id=65078&blogger_id=299304. This week I commented on Staphons post about coral reefs. The post was very informative, and I complemented him on his work.

Week 8: http://temijuopelo.edublogs.org/2010/02/05/six-traits-organisation/#comment-56. This was a particularly interesting blog post for me to read, because I am also taking EH 401 (teaching composition). In EH 401 we discuss the sic-trait rubric for writing in great detail. My comment read : "I am a student at The University of South Alabama, and I was assigned to read your blog. This is an amazingly good post. I am studying to be an English teacher, and I am looking at the Six-Trait writing format in one of my classes. Organization is, in my opinion, the second most important part of good writing behind ideas. Your really seem to be understanding how to organize and shape your arguments using facts and smooth transitions. You are well on your way to becoming a very good writer. Keep up the good work, its worth it. Good writers like you are in short supply."

2 comments:

  1. A.W. I have really enjoyed the Comments4Kids. Like you, I am amazed at how intelligent these students are. All of the blogs I have seen are used for younger students. Do you plan to use blogs in your English class when you have a class?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Social Voice http://socialvoice.blogspot.com/ is another outstanding example of student blogging. I recommend taking a look at it. Social Voice is an online social issues-oriented blog created by students in Mr. Spencer' class and students in IMPACT in Phoenix, Arizona.

    ReplyDelete